Who can Be a Volunteer?
We have SO MANY things for volunteers to do, for ages 6 and older, and for all abilities!
Individuals, families, groups – all welcome
Children under 16 must have adult supervision (parent or guardian) and we welcome Community Service workers.
What Do Volunteers Do?
- We recycle local surplus food, empty cardboard boxes, plastic sacks, egg cartons, paper sacks.
- We sort through the incoming veggies, fruits, bakery and meat we receive each day and prepare them for the people we serve. 90% of what we receive each day is perishable.
- We sort incoming cans for damage, check for their “use by” dates, and separate and inventory fruits, veggies, beans etc. so the stock can be fully used and rotated.
- We repackage bulk food (sometimes rice arrives in a 50 pound sack but we need some for a family of three people)
- We pack food boxes for daily distribution to various sites in Fairbanks and North Pole.
- Safety in the warehouse is the responsibility of everyone who enters. We ask everyone to adhere to DEC food safety regulations and also OSHA work-site safety regulations.
- We have fun!
What Times are Available for Work?
Time slots are available from 1 hour up to 6 hours from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. Saturday work is also available (by schedule only)
If you are scheduled for a time slot and cannot make it, please call or email 24 hours in advance so we can find a replacement.
Complete our Volunteer Form and then call 45-SHARE to set up your time, or email Luann at