Happy Birthday Fairbanks Community Food Bank!!
That is a lot of years receiving free food and giving it away for free. We could not serve this community without the support of this community. WOW!
In 1982 we collected 12,000 pounds of food and served just a handful of customers.
By 1990 we were up to collecting 300,000 pounds of food and serving 4,000 people.
Since 2010 we have been collecting about 2,000,000 pounds of food and serving almost 40,000 people each year (almost 1/2 of them local children).
That is AMAZING!
We were founded in May of 1982 and want to celebrate this May by bringing in a RECORD 30,000 pounds of food for the Letter Carriers Stamp Out Hunger event.
That is a big goal, but this community has risen to amazing heights supporting this Food Bank!
THIS SATURDAY please fill your mail box with non-perishable foods (canned goods, boxed goods, etc.). Your letter carrier will pick it up and deliver it directly to our warehouse.
Posted by Anne Weaver - Monday, 05/07/12, 03:05 PM -
CategoriesNo categories found.
- Volunteers: On your marks, get set, GO!
- Quota Club & Order of Easter Stars bring in Easter treats for our customers
- Visit Sam's Club this weekend for a new way to help this LOCAL Food Bank
- Longtime fire chief, community volunteer Bill Shechter dies
- Two more wood bison!
- Paige Gappert donates from her proceeds again. What an amazing kid!
- American Legion Post 57 continues to support the veterans and their families!
- Thank you Alaska Airline's employees for your food AND your dollars!
- Food came in all the way from Washington DC yesterday - thank you Senator Begich's staff for your personal donations!
- Thank you Sourdough Transfer for your "Move Hunger" food drive!
- Santa visits our TEFAP distribution and brings smiles to the kids faces
- The Fairbanks City Police brought in 5 complete meals for our customers!
- The Little Match Girl was a lovely production at DTF. Reminds us of the hard times many folks have in these cold winters!
- "Why are you giving to us today?" "We chose to not have an office Christmas Party..."
- Christmas boxes for Salvation Army all packed and out the door! Merry Christmas!
- "One for us, one for the Food Bank..." A childhood lesson remembered
- THANK YOU to all the folks purchasing End Hunger bags at Safeway. They are coming in by the 100s!
- 26 years after a customer was served he says "...I was inspired by the two food boxes I received..."
- Thank you Ayala for your "Random Acts of Christmas Kindness" certificate!
- So who is Mr. Potato Head? Why, George Berry, of course!