Thank you Watershed 5th graders!!
Watershed school has continued to show themselves to be community leaders and faithful workers!
When the parents & kids started to arrive at the Fairbanks Community Food Bank our Customer Service staff looked out the window and were surprised to see the kids starting their day with exercises while they were waiting for the rest of their group to arrive.
Then, just like the 6th grade class, they came in to take a tour of the Food Bank.
During this tour Anne always asks the folks to define "poor people" - who do THEY think the Food Bank serves. The kids answers were right on the mark! They talked about folks going through a divorce (expensive and unexpected), injured on or off the job (therefore unable to work momentarily), electricity & fuel costs, sickness, etc..
It is not often that kids this age go straight to these types of answers. Their thoughtfulness about the world around them was striking and wonderful!
After the tour I dropped them off with Pam in the USDA warehouse where they, too, just like their 6th grade counterparts, packed 144 boxes in the next hour. That is fantastic! (And this time, after working with the 6th grade class, Pam was prepared for them :) ).
When I talked to Pam later in the day about how everything went she was totally excited! She talked about wanting to invite them back several times next year because they were both hard working and a pleasure to be around.
Thank you, Watershed, for the gift of your hard working students. Both your 5th & 6th grade classes have highlighted your dedicated service to this community.
Posted by Anne Weaver - Monday, 05/14/12, 02:40 PM -
CategoriesNo categories found.
- WOW Olivia! 161 pounds for your first birthday!
- Thank you Olivia! Enjoy your first birthday!
- Volunteers: On your marks, get set, GO!
- Quota Club & Order of Easter Stars bring in Easter treats for our customers
- Visit Sam's Club this weekend for a new way to help this LOCAL Food Bank
- Longtime fire chief, community volunteer Bill Shechter dies
- Two more wood bison!
- Paige Gappert donates from her proceeds again. What an amazing kid!
- American Legion Post 57 continues to support the veterans and their families!
- Thank you Alaska Airline's employees for your food AND your dollars!
- Food came in all the way from Washington DC yesterday - thank you Senator Begich's staff for your personal donations!
- Thank you Sourdough Transfer for your "Move Hunger" food drive!
- Santa visits our TEFAP distribution and brings smiles to the kids faces
- The Fairbanks City Police brought in 5 complete meals for our customers!
- The Little Match Girl was a lovely production at DTF. Reminds us of the hard times many folks have in these cold winters!
- "Why are you giving to us today?" "We chose to not have an office Christmas Party..."
- Christmas boxes for Salvation Army all packed and out the door! Merry Christmas!
- "One for us, one for the Food Bank..." A childhood lesson remembered
- THANK YOU to all the folks purchasing End Hunger bags at Safeway. They are coming in by the 100s!
- 26 years after a customer was served he says "...I was inspired by the two food boxes I received..."