Catholic School Fairbanks makes a GREAT Thanksgiving treat!
Having 100 students cruising through the Food Bank during our busiest time of day over the course of the last three days sounds incredible and maybe even a little terrifying all at the same time.... But I (Anne) just spent the last three days giving tours to the K-2nd grade students at Catholic Schools Fairbanks AND WHAT A GREAT BUNCH OF KIDS!
They were excited, thoughtful, and just simply wise.
My favorite quote from the 1st graders was when I asked them what a “poor” person was (because they kept using that word) and one boy said: “like the guy [in the Bible] who was under the table catching crumbs from the rich man.” In all my years of giving tours I have never had a 1st grade class tell me the story of Lazarus and the Rich Man before. Made my day!
A couple hours after that particular tour I received 30+ of these gems:
One of the other fun parts about their tours was that each kid brought at least one box of stuffing for our Thanksgiving distribution - and they helped us reach our goal for Thanksgiving! We have NEVER been able to reach that goal early in November. (Please keep bringing in stuffing - it WILL be used!)
The little pumpkin on top arrived as the Kindergarten tour was happening so we decided to decorate the stuffing boxes with her :).
And a fun fact: we receive 2-5 TONS of food every day. One part of each kiddo tour is to "weigh in" the class to see how heavy they are. All together, their K-2nd grade students weigh 5387 pounds (OVER 2.5 tons). WOW! That is a LOT of kids! And that is even MORE food!
Many thanks to the parents & teachers that made these tours such successes! I love having kids through here learning about how their one box of stuffing helped a whole family have a better day. What a great way to spend my week!
Posted by Anne Weaver - Wednesday, 11/06/13, 11:35 AM -
CategoriesNo categories found.
- WOW! The Brigade Troops Battalion brought in 13,000 food items today!
- Catholic School Fairbanks makes a GREAT Thanksgiving treat!
- Matthew Collins, Manager of Vehicles and Maintenance, dies at 48
- Chatanika Car Show on Saturday!
- WOW Olivia! 161 pounds for your first birthday!
- Thank you Olivia! Enjoy your first birthday!
- Volunteers: On your marks, get set, GO!
- Quota Club & Order of Easter Stars bring in Easter treats for our customers
- Visit Sam's Club this weekend for a new way to help this LOCAL Food Bank
- Longtime fire chief, community volunteer Bill Shechter dies
- Two more wood bison!
- Paige Gappert donates from her proceeds again. What an amazing kid!
- American Legion Post 57 continues to support the veterans and their families!
- Thank you Alaska Airline's employees for your food AND your dollars!
- Food came in all the way from Washington DC yesterday - thank you Senator Begich's staff for your personal donations!
- Thank you Sourdough Transfer for your "Move Hunger" food drive!
- Santa visits our TEFAP distribution and brings smiles to the kids faces
- The Fairbanks City Police brought in 5 complete meals for our customers!
- The Little Match Girl was a lovely production at DTF. Reminds us of the hard times many folks have in these cold winters!
- "Why are you giving to us today?" "We chose to not have an office Christmas Party..."