WOW! The Brigade Troops Battalion brought in 13,000 food items today!
WOW! What a day!! We had an incredible gift today of 13,000 cans/boxes of food come in today from the Brigade Troops Battalion, 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division (Brigade Troops Battalion, 1/25th Stryker Brigade Combat Team)!
This (the above picture) is not a view you see around here very often... :)
As I had a chance to walk around and talk with the soldiers during the delivery of these food items I heard some incredible stories:
Two young soldiers each took $500 to the store to purchase food for our customers.
This became a huge competition between soldiers and everyone was battling to see who could give the most (what a beautiful competition!)
Some of the soldiers had never given before, but they wanted to start by participating in this event.
"Hey, did you know that the Canned Food Day at the Fair brought in 18,000 pounds? The 750 of us almost caught up to their biggest food drive of the entire year!"
Some of the soldiers' home base is in Oklahoma and when Oklahoma was hit by that giant storm the only way the soldiers' felt like they could help was to give some to the folks here having a hard time.
"Last year we raised 9,000 pounds. This year we were trying to hit 10,000. I was amazed to discover that we hit 13,000!!! Next year I guess we will shoot for 15,000!"
"So, I knew some of my unit was coming in with me to drop off this food. What I didn't know is that some of my unit was already here volunteering!!
So many thanks to each and every soldier (and your family) who participated! You have truly blessed this Food Bank and the people we serve with your gifts.
Posted by Anne Weaver - Monday, 11/25/2013, 03:25 PM -
CategoriesNo categories found.
- Ladd Elementary School produces leaders with a heart for service!
- WOW! The Brigade Troops Battalion brought in 13,000 food items today!
- Catholic School Fairbanks makes a GREAT Thanksgiving treat!
- Matthew Collins, Manager of Vehicles and Maintenance, dies at 48
- Chatanika Car Show on Saturday!
- WOW Olivia! 161 pounds for your first birthday!
- Thank you Olivia! Enjoy your first birthday!
- Volunteers: On your marks, get set, GO!
- Quota Club & Order of Easter Stars bring in Easter treats for our customers
- Visit Sam's Club this weekend for a new way to help this LOCAL Food Bank
- Longtime fire chief, community volunteer Bill Shechter dies
- Two more wood bison!
- Paige Gappert donates from her proceeds again. What an amazing kid!
- American Legion Post 57 continues to support the veterans and their families!
- Thank you Alaska Airline's employees for your food AND your dollars!
- Food came in all the way from Washington DC yesterday - thank you Senator Begich's staff for your personal donations!
- Thank you Sourdough Transfer for your "Move Hunger" food drive!
- Santa visits our TEFAP distribution and brings smiles to the kids faces
- The Fairbanks City Police brought in 5 complete meals for our customers!
- The Little Match Girl was a lovely production at DTF. Reminds us of the hard times many folks have in these cold winters!